I can hardly wait to show you the pix I took last PM at the Templo de Debod- a real live b´gosh 2000+ year old Egyptian temple that was saved from the rising waters of Lake Nassar when they built the Aswan Dam...
We ate early (7PMish) and headed out to the park where the Temple was at around 8.30 Lots of Madrilenos (love that word. It has a ring that Jamestownenos could never reach) strolling and lounging on the grass and a guy was playing jazz sax on the sidewalk. Magique. Waited an hour for sunset and then the temple, which was impressive to begin with, began transforming with lights. And (as any shutterbug will tell you at the drop of a hat) it´s all about the lights baby.
We began the day at the Prado. I (not to put too fine a point on it) HATED it! I loathed the collection almost entirely. Call me a philistine, but it totally left me cold and claustrophobic! Got out of there ASAP, and left D to lyricize over it all. I headed a few blocks away to Caixa Forum which had a restrospective (1904-1915) of a fauvist I´d never heard of. But he made me smile. He bathed me in light and color and ideas. Now he was someone I could love.
One of the things I love here are the human statues. These folks are all over, Paris, New York, etc., but the ones here in Spain seem to be a special breed. Incredibly elaborate. And- they feel no need to hold still for more than a coupla minutes at a time! Ah, espana!!!
The rest of the day was standard tourist stuff. Sat in Retiro, the Central Park of Madrid. Got a few really good shots of a guy on some kind of new high tech pogo sticks. Of statues. Of trees and water. Ate a coupla times, though my total calorie intake per day is really low... Shopped in a bookstore (first shopping I´ve done here at all...), walked, internetted, yadayadayada...
More as life progresses....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment