Holy shit- if it ain't one thing it's another. For those of you who don't know, I was so nervous or whatever when I left home that I neglected to put the key in the lock box for the kitty sitter. Thank god I brought this computer with me. Due to that and some ultra cool friends in Jamestown the crisis was remedied and I can continue to be my irresponsible self...
Now. Where was I?
I did drop off until 9PM last night and strolled out for my first dinner in Spain. As usual, I headed in the opposite direction of the restaurants which began about 4 doors down. But I found myself in a magic land with a few tiny eateries and chose for my initiation to Spanish food- El Rincon de Kababs! The falafel was marvelous, and because they dropped a heap of french fries on top of the salad, I have a great idea for a new recipe. Salad with crispy french fries! Watch for it at a dinner near you.
I gotta say, I'm a pretty lucky tourist. Even with the wrong turn, I ended up in a festive section of town and got to see some neato sculptures, etc. I thought of the historical society as I passed a museum of industrial artifacts including a full sized lighthouse light... Will go back in daylight tomorrow, maybe.
Today I headed out for food around 11AM. After buying my bottled water at an Islamic meat market (you'll begin to see a theme emerging here...) I noted "Generation 2009"-an art exhibit by the young and the hot housed in an old church. It was (yahoo!) free. It was astounding. The quality of the work was unbelieveable. Ask to see my program when I rerturn. After seeing too many high end museum biennials with the imagination of retarded gnats, I have to tell you, this was heartstopping!
Hit the notorious Rambles after a quick sammie down a side street. Luck holding, I arrived at the opera house just in time for the tour in English! It's the 2nd largest opera house in Europe, I was stunned to learn, and very "bourgeoise", the guide assured us, in decoration. I think he was using it in the Victorian, non-hipster sense of the word...
Saw a pickpocketing in one street. Unfortunately for the miscreant, he chose a big ol' boy from Texas to pick on, and Tex began a hollerin' and a howlin' "Policia! Policia!!!" and punched the little sucker in the gut. And I didn't have my camera ready. I'll never make a photojournalist...
Also saw two of the most amazing Scottish tourists on La Ramblas. I know they were Scottish by their tattoos and accents. They were men, sporting open shirts. They were both shaved bald, and had hugehuge bellies (also hairless) to match their heads. Astonishing. Where the hell is my camera when I need it?
The human statues were out in force, and I, of course, was supporting them with donations for taking their pix. I loved the little green leprochaun (sue me I don't know how to spell it). He was a dwarf making use of his natural talents.
I'm becoming obsessed with the smokestacks across the street. I know the Freudians among you will think they know why, but I am just dizzy with their perfect symmetry and how they change with the sky and the angle. Perfect simple objects in space. Better than sculptures.
Check out http://picasaweb.google.com/tapit1/Barcelona2?authkey=Gv1sRgCMiN3fPX663gnwE# for todays pix
Now it's back in the hotel for a siesta. Sr. Kaiser is due in here in about an hour...
The pictures are great even the ones of the smokestaks. I see why you are enamored of them. I love the Dragon,too. I set it as wall paper on my computer. love
ReplyDeletemak