Saturday, May 30, 2009

The end is near

Yesterday was blurrish. It had something to do with walking voer to the palace and standing in line between a nest of tourists from Mother Russia who were mighty amusing with their kerchiefs and sausages and vodka. (OKOKOK, so it's a sleazy stereotype and not a bit of it true, but I couldn't resist.) They were Russian tourists, though and speaking with that pile driver cadence of theirs that always amuses. Interesting ting is that there were about ten of them, but never all in the line at one time. Quelle civilized. One or two would serve as placeholders and the other drifted around the palace plaza.

I finally walked into a shop! Since I'm not known for shopping on vacay, this was quite a feat, but we were going to a snazzy historico restaurant for dinner and I suddenly felt uncertain about my dress up outfit. So I headed over to a side street in Puerto del Sol. Sat. Late afternoon. One girl, leaning against a lamppost, looked like a hooker- heavy make up, short tight skirt, leather. Then another. Then- at final count, almost 15 within a fwe block area. Two were being busted by cops, but they ingnored the others. Is it legal here??? So I went into a cool store and bought a little dressy number. And got in line behind a group of three ladies who looked like they were getting ready to go to work on the street. Apparently I have the taste of a prostitute when it comes to clothes.

AQnd speaking of bathrooms- there were only two stalls in the ladies' room at the palace. One was taken up by a mom potty training here kid (come on honey, you can push and make the poop come out!) and the other one by a woman who was READING for god's sake! I could see the shadow of the book on the floor! There oughtta be a law.

Dinner was marvy. I had chix in almond sauce and salad, D had veal steak and fires...

Historico restaurant was recommended by David's Spaniard friend. Oldest restaurant in the western hemisphere- in continuous operation since like 1762 or something. Small rooms and old platters.

Gotta go. They're calling my plane.

More later.

Smooches

No comments:

Post a Comment