Thursday, May 21, 2009

And so it goes...


Got a somber call yesterday from David, who's now in Sienna. He has lost his ATM card. It hasn't been used and nothing else is missing, so he either neglected to take it from a bankmachine when he was done or he just misplaced it... He instantly called the Bank of Newport to alert them to cancel it. They are sending out the replacement (with pin, they say) UPS today and I should get it before I leave tomorrow. Apparently they will not let anyone come to the bank to pick it up.

If it doesn't arrive in time we do have a plan B, involving D's madmoney (which I didn't know existed), three of my debit cards and a partridge in a pear tree. Of course most things can go on credit cards, but we do need cash for taxis, treats on the street, etc.

Re: taxis. My popped foot isn't getting any better in spite of industrial strength naproxen, a foot bandage thingy, etc. I had considered bowing out, but just got off the phone with himself who said this isn't an option. Hence the need for more taxi money than usual. I'm considering a cane, too, which could double as a pickpocket swatter if need be.

On the bright side, I've been unbelieveably organized. Made a pefect packing list Tues. PM, packed most everything I need last night, and am in the process of printing out all the travel docs I need today. I have a lot of them already, but I need to make photocopies of the passport, debit cards, etc. and print out the list of "to do's", and full hotel information I've been collecting for the last month... as well as my cards with the hotel address that I'll be giving out to the taxi dancers...

I got a couple of Madrid guidebooks at the library, but they seemed off. The color was old process, which was the first tip off, and one of them was written before Franco croaked! So I continue last minute research and practice my Spanish from a Rick Steve's phrase book, which includes such handy phrases as "Please slow down or I'll throw up!" (Si no va mas despacio, voy a vomir) and "Sorry for the mess" (Perdone el desorden.) So I'm good to go, as we Americans say...

I checked some street style websites to see what folks are wearing on the streets of the two big cities, and I find they're just about like everywhere else, so, except for maybe getting another skirt, no new purchases are necessary...

It's off to Newport for last minute errands now.

Stay tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment